Connect on LinkedIn Refer Kaila
Kaila Dotten joined Cassady and Company in May 2017 as a family law, personal injury and estate litigation associate. As a family lawyer, Kaila has experience providing legal services to clients respecting cohabitation agreements, prenuptial agreements, separation agreements and divorce cases including the division of property.READ FULL BIO
JD, University of British Columbia (2012)
BAA, Humber College (2009)
British Columbia, 2013
Kaila Dotten joined Cassady and Company in May 2017 as a family law, personal injury and estate litigation associate. As a family lawyer, Kaila has experience providing legal services to clients respecting cohabitation agreements, prenuptial agreements, separation agreements and divorce cases including the division of property. Kaila’s experience also extends to wills variation claims and personal injury claims.
Sports have always played a large and important part in Kaila’s life. Kaila grew up in Parry Sound, Ontario (the home of Canada’s favorite hockey player Bobby Orr) and has always been an avid hockey fan. As a child, Kaila was a competitive gymnast and sprinter and through those experiences she learned that success is tied to working hard and perseverance. Kaila now enjoys playing softball and flag football and honing her skills as a team player. Kaila brings these qualities to her work as a lawyer.
Kaila prides herself on providing clients with helpful but frank advice and ensuring that her clients are aware of all of the realistic possible outcomes they face in their cases. Kaila is sensitive to the fact that often her clients are meeting her at the most difficult time in their lives, and she prides herself on making sure they feel comfortable with the decisions they are making and that the decisions are the right ones for them.
Kaila has appeared at all levels of court in British Columbia. Outside of work, Kaila is always looking to give back. She presently sits on the board of the New Westminster Hospice Society.
Kaila has appeared as counsel at the trials of the following matters:
- Counsel to an at fault driver in respect of one car accident.
- Counsel to two at-fault drivers in respect of two car accidents.
- Counsel to a father on a child relocation application by the mother to move a child to Mission, BC.
- Co-counsel to a husband on a divorce case involving a family business passed down to the husband and his brother from their parents, and a claim by the wife to divide it.
- Co-counsel to a lottery winner who loaned a friend a large sum of money following her win and who was then later trying to collect on the loan.
- Counsel to a bus passenger who fell when the bus accelerated quickly.
- Co-counsel to a 25-year common law spouse who brought a claim to vary her late-partner’s will when she was disinherited.
- What Counts as a Fraudulent Conveyance in British Columbia, The Scrivener, Fall 2016 edition.
- Family Law in BC vs. Oregon: 3 Things You Want to Know, The Scrivener, Summer 2016 edition.
- Cassady & Company in the Community | Vancouver Sun Run 2023
- Rotary Pot of Gold Golf Tournament Raises $34,000 for Local Charities
- Peril of the Sea – Should you buy that boat with your friend?
- Cassady & Company one of top three divorce lawyers in New West
- Cassady Sponsors Pot of Gold Golf Tournament
- Kaila Dotten joins Cassady & Company
- Canadian Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association